For stand up paddling, short SUP you paddle on a board standing on the water. This kind of locomotion is known especially from Asian one-man bamboo rafts. However, standing paddling has become a trend sport due to the surf instructors and photographers in Hawaii, who use paddle boards to get to the reefs faster and have a better view of the surfers. On rivers and lakes, paddling becomes a great leisure activity with integrated full-body workout.
5 reasons, just make sure SUP -to try out yoga
7 tips for the right technique for stand up paddling
You are standing on a Stand up Paddle Board for the first time? The right technique will make your paddling experience easier. Julian Bube teaches SUP -courses at the SupperClub Hamburg and gives 4 valuable tips for stand up paddling beginners:
- Adjust paddles: Before you jump on the board, the paddle must be adjusted quickly on land. With most of them, the length can be adjusted very easily. “If you stretch your arm upwards, your paddle should be long enough so that your wrist can just about touch the top of the knob,” says Bube.
- Mount up: “The safest point is the so-called sweet spot in the middle of the board. If it gets too wobbly for you, just kneel down there, then you can’t fall into the water,” says Julian Bube.
When getting on the board, you can kneel down first, paddle away from the bar a little bit and then slowly stand up. To do this, place your feet parallel and as far apart as possible. Once you have found your balance, off you go.
- Stand properly: You are standing – fantastic! Now it says: Now it’s time to keep your composure.
“Knees are slightly bent when paddling stand up and the trunk is tensed.”
- Move forward: To do this, prick the paddle sideways in the water at the front and pull the paddle close to the board through the water to the back. At foot level you lift it out of the water, bring it straight forward again and dip it in again. Many small paddle strokes are more effective than big, especially wide ones.
“In order to use your torso tension optimally for the power transmission and to progress faster, it is important to keep the upper arms stretched.
- Hold the paddle correctly: “A common beginner’s mistake is to hold the paddle the wrong way round,” says Bube. To paddle forwards, dip the curved paddle blade into the water with the curvature facing backwards. To brake, simply turn the paddle around.
- Steering: If you always paddle only on the left side, the board will automatically steer slightly to the right. Therefore you change to the other side after 3-5 paddle strokes. (Attention: Do not lose paddle when changing sides!). If you want to turn purposefully, do not pull the blade of the paddle through the water directly next to the board, but in a slight curve. “Always look where you want to go and steer out of the hull,” says Bube.
- Stick to the rules: If you are on the water with a paddle board, you should observe the traffic rules. “Even on the water, right before left!” – where waterways cross, you should therefore paddle ahead of the others, so that rowers, boats or ships are not slowed down.
Learn to surf this summer
What does stand up paddling train?
Balancing on the SUP -Board trains body awareness and improves trunk stability. © sergua / Shutterstock.com
The beauty of stand-up paddling is that you can go for a leisurely walk or make a real workout out of it by covering longer distances or picking up a higher speed. If you paddle with full body effort, you even get the finishing touches for your abs for free. Because a high torso tension is always required when doing stand-up paddling to keep the body in balance – especially if you dare to shift your yoga unit to the board.
What do I need for stand up paddling?
To prepare for the first trip on the Stand up Paddle Board, there are a few things to consider. You can get a board and paddle at the boat rental. However, there are a few things to consider when choosing the right outfit, depending on temperature and weather conditions: In summer, swimwear is sufficient. Important: Do not forget sunscreen and sunglasses. If the temperatures are not so summery and the water is cold, it is best to wear a wetsuit and bathing shoes when doing stand-up paddling.
By the way: Even though there is not much danger of falling into the water during stand up paddling, you should still be able to swim before you start paddling with the board.
15 activities for the perfect weekend
How do I find the right board?
It all depends on what you want to experience with the board. Basically the SUP -boards into 3 categories:
Stand up paddling is an easy summer sport that not only trains your body but is also great fun © Aerial-motion / Shutterstock.com
1. the touring board is up to 384 cm long and slightly wider. The longer a board is, the easier it is to move forward. The paddling movements become more effective and you can also cover longer distances on the water. On the wider touring boards you can also easily carry backpacks with provisions for the trip or even your dog.
2. the racer board is suitable for everyone who wants to glide particularly fast over water. It is about 427 cm long, narrow and has a high and steep rail. This makes the board very fast in the water, but also less agile and very difficult for beginners to balance.
3. the Yoga Board is the right choice for those who want to transfer their workout to the water. Inflatable boards are often used here. They are relatively wide, about 290 to 340 centimeters long and therefore lie very stable on the water. The upper material is non-slip at best and provides good padding for the yoga exercises.
If you don’t feel ready for sports, races or long tours on the board and just want to try out stand up paddling, you are ready with a Allround Board well advised for beginners. These are very wide and of average length. The wider the board, the more stable and tilt resistant it can be moved.
This summer you will learn kitesurfing
Where is stand up paddling allowed?
Everywhere where you can also rent pedal boats or canoes. Basically stand up paddling is allowed on all German waterways. However, sometimes there are exceptions for ponds in parks or dams. To protect nature, there are some rules for stand up paddling. You can find out what to observe on the waters near you, when and if there is a navigation ban, at the German Canoe Association.
Fun sports or full physical effort on the board
Stand-up paddling is the ideal fun sport for a weekend or after-work excursion in summer. And if the comfortable stand-up paddling is not enough, you can also try out the SUP -trying yoga. Shaky business!