The hype about the juicy-sweet “banana bread” is from the USA spilling over to us. Luckily, because we too can no longer imagine life without banana bread. Whether for breakfast or as a quick energy supplier for in between: banana bread is always good. And the best thing is that no special skills are needed to prepare it, because even baking muffins can prepare a banana bread at home quickly and without much effort.
DIY How to make (healthy) Nutella yourself
The cake-like bread is also healthy thanks to its valuable carbohydrates and fibre, at least as long as you choose a recipe without fattening ingredients that quickly turn the treat into a calorie trap.
So that you can eat the banana bread with pleasure and without regret, we have selected 3 delicious and above all healthy banana bread recipes for you. And there is guaranteed to be the right recipe for every sweet tooth, whether you have a paleo-follower, vegan or low carb. The only challenge for you: Don’t plaster everything immediately!
1st recipe for paleo-banana bread without flour and sugar
No flour, no sugar: our Paleo banana bread. © Pavel Korotkov / Shutterstock.com
Healthy, tasty and also rich in protein is the Paleo variant of banana bread. People who follow the rules of the so-called Stone Age diet do without sugar and wheat flour in their everyday life. But baking without flour and sugar? How is that possible? Very simple: Instead of normal flour, you use ground almonds for your banana bread. Bananas and just one tablespoon of honey provide the optimal sweetness.
The banana bread without flour is especially ideal for athletes, because it scores with a great combination of fast carbs and high-quality proteins.
Bake Paleo – without sugar, flour and milk
Ingredients for a paleo-banana bread (box baking pan) :
- 4 bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1 TL Vanilla powder
- 1 EL honey
- 2 EL Coconut oil
- 200 g ground almonds
- 1 pinch coarse sea salt
- 1 TL Tartar baking powder
- optional: 1 TL Cinnamon
And so goes’s:
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Whisk bananas, eggs, vanilla powder, honey and coconut oil in a mixing bowl.
- Then mix in the ground almonds, salt and baking powder and stir to a dough. If you like, add a little cinnamon.
- Finally, spread the dough in a box form and bake the bread for about 35 minutes.
2nd recipe for vegan banana bread with chocolate
Chocolate vegan banana bread. © Irina Rostokina / Shutterstock.com
Hardly recognizable: A chocolate and juicy banana cake. The ingredients of the vegan “bread” are super healthy: instead of greasy butter, coconut oil is used, and coconut blossom sugar provides the sweetness.
The nectar of the coconut palm scores with its low glycemic index and, unlike household sugar, ensures that your blood sugar level does not rise rapidly. By the way, you can use the sugar substitute in the same proportion as household sugar. If that is not enough reason to start the oven immediately.
Bake delicious low carb cookies
Ingredients for a vegan banana bread (box baking pan) :
- 1 EL Chia seeds + 3 EL Water
- 30 g coconut oil
- 4 ripe bananas
- 130 ml soy milk
- 2 EL Maple syrup
- 140 g spelt flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 40 g coconut blossom sugar
- 1 TL Baking powder
- 1/4 TL Soda
- 1/4 TL ground vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 g baking cocoa
- 70 g dark chocolate (85 % cocoa)
And so the banana bread becomes perfect:
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Let the chia seeds swell in water for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil and let it cool slightly.
- Peel three of the bananas and mash them with a fork. Then add the melted coconut oil, soy milk and maple syrup and mix together.
- Take a second bowl and mix the “dry” ingredients, i.e. flour, almonds, coconut blossom sugar, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, salt and the baking cocoa.
- Now put both keys and the swollen chia seeds together and mix the whole thing into a dough. Roughly chop the chocolate and fold in.
- The remaining banana can now either be cut lengthwise in the middle and simply placed decoratively on top of the banana bread. Or you can cut the banana into many small slices and place them one after the other on top of the banana bread – as in our preview picture.
- Bake banana bread for about 50 to 60 minutes.
Nibbling without regrets: low-calorie snacks
3. healthy banana bread recipe without sugar and with little fat
Banana bread without sugar, but with lots of taste. © Lenakov / Shutterstock.com
This banana bread recipe is extremely healthy and low in calories: you can safely leave out sugar, syrup or similar. Due to their high fruit sugar content, bananas release enough sweetness and ensure that you won’t miss the sugar at all.
Important: Use very ripe or slightly overripe bananas. Because the riper, the sweeter. But bananas are not only perfect for baking because of their natural sweetness, their consistency also makes it possible to use them for many dishes as a substitute or additional product.
7 ways to cleverly use overripe fruit
On top of that, the preparation is super fast, as you only need a few ingredients. If you still want it a little sweeter, you can spread the banana bread afterwards with various sweet spreads, such as almond or peanut puree, honey or maple syrup. But then you are no longer “sugar-free”.
Ingredients for a banana bread (box baking pan) :
- 3 ripe bananas
- 200 g wholemeal wheat flour (alternatively white flour, spelt flour)
- 100 g apple, grated or apple puree without sugar
- 1 pck. baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 50 g chopped walnuts (alternatively almonds, hazelnuts)
- optional: 1 TL Cinnamon
And that’s how the sugar-free banana bread works:
- Peel and core the apple and grate it finely with a rasp (instead of the apple you can also use apple puree with no added sugar).
- Then mash the bananas with a fork and beat them with the two eggs until frothy.
- Mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon and add it to the banana-apple-egg paste. Then mix everything to a dough.
- Before you fill everything into the tin, fold the chopped walnuts into the dough.
- Then bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes.
Sugar-free baking with Xucker – this is how’s works
Tip: If you prefer the bread warm, you can put the slices in the microwave for a short time before eating them.
What goes with banana bread?
The nice thing about banana bread: You can vary the ingredients to your heart’s content. Depending on what your larder gives you, you can in principle add the following ingredients to each dough:
- hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds
- Dark shavings, coconut flakes
- blueberries, raspberries, pear or apple pieces
- dates, apricots, cranberries, raisins
Of course, these ingredients don’t make banana bread any less calorific – so don’t gobble the whole bread at once, but enjoy it piece by piece.
How to bake a healthy cake
Whether paleo, vegan or sugar-free, banana bread is always possible and in every variation. It not only tastes juicy and sweet, it also has healthy nutritional values.