In this article:
- What are sirtuins?
- What do they do in the body?
- How sirtuins influence the metabolism
- Losing weight with Sirt-Food – that’s how it works
- Sirtuin-rich foods
What are sirtuins?
The triumphal procession of the so-called sirtuins began when the Australian biologist David Sinclair discovered a gene in yeast fungi that regulates the metabolism in order to survive when food is scarce. The Sir2 gene was detected in all living organisms only a short time later and became known as the enzyme group of sirtuins through further research.
Activate sirtuins by interval fasting
These are activated as soon as you take in fewer calories than your body needs, or rather: as soon as the stomach remains empty for a certain period of time. The organism is then put into a kind of survival mode, but – and this is new – it is then not limited to managing with less energy, but subjects the cells to an extensive maintenance and repair programme. DNA -Damage is repaired, cells are made fit again, so the body is fitter and healthier after the hunger period than before.
Sirtuins push your metabolism and you feel fitter and healthier © g-stockstudio / Shutterstock.com
The kicker: Sinclair found out that we can start this process without starving ourselves – through food that is sirtuin activators. These include many secondary plant compounds.
How Sirtuins work in the body
The mode of action of sirtuin activators is based on the protective mechanism of plants. Unlike humans and animals, they can protect their enemies (UV -radiation, heat, cold, bacteria, etc.) do not simply get out of the way. This is why they form different substances: tomatoes form lycopene, which protects them from the sun; grapes form resveratrol, which fights off attacks of mould; and cabbage contains sulphur compounds that keep off predators.
Our 40 best weight loss recipes
Humans can use these weapons of plants for themselves by eating, because they cause slight stress in the body and the reaction to it keeps us healthy. As with sport – here too, the activity is initially stress for the body, because it is flooded with free radicals, which are a waste product of energy production. In addition, depending on the intensity, muscle soreness due to micro-injuries can be added.
Sirtuins of blue berries and raspberries protect our body from harmful free radicals © Luna Vandoorne / Shutterstock.com
But the body’s subsequent reaction to this stress is very healthy, because it now activates its own antioxidant defence systems – just like eating Sirt food. And the mechanism of overcompensation not only combats the acute stress stimulus but also prevents future damage.
Metabolism booster: Lose fat and keep muscles
The entire metabolism benefits from the sirtuins. In particular, insulin metabolism is optimised, which promotes weight loss and protects against metabolic syndrome, the biggest risk factor for heart disease. Even if one falls into a calorie deficit, sirtuins help to maintain muscle, which is otherwise never the case with diets. Furthermore, chronic inflammatory processes are reduced to a minimum and DNS -damage repaired. This counteracts ageing and actively prevents cancer.
With the help of sirtuins you lose weight without losing muscle mass © Look Studio / Shutterstock.com
However, it is important: Do not exaggerate! Above an amount of 250 milligrams per day sirtuins have a negative effect.
To lose weight with the help of sirtuins, it helps to know the exact mechanism of action: When hungry, they are responsible for both fat burning and cell repair. This melts white fat tissue (which only stores energy), while stimulating brown fat tissue, which supports heat regulation and requires a lot of energy.
10 natural appetite suppressants from the supermarket
How to lose weight with Sirt-Food
To lose weight with Sirt-Food for a month, proceed as follows: Consume plenty of calorie-free liquid (water or unsweetened tea) for 2 days and additionally about 800 calories. On each of the 26 following days, eat 3 meals with a total of 1800 calories, many of them from Sirt-Food foods (see below).
You can also find suitable recipes in “Losing weight with Sirt-Food” (GU for 13 euros).
The top 13 sirtuin-rich foods
These foods contain highly concentrated plant substances that activate and stimulate sirtuin in the body:
- Lemon: Naringenin and hesperidin are flavonoids found in citrus fruits that lower blood pressure and also promote blood circulation.
- Blueberries: Dark blue to violet anthocyanins, which are also found in raspberries or aubergines, have an antioxidant effect, they protect cells and also genes.
- Dark chocolate: The bitter substance catechin has a cell- and vascular-protecting, cholesterol- and cancer-inhibiting effect. It is also found in green tea and in Matcha tea.
- Raspberries: In addition to raspberries, the cancer-inhibiting, anti-diabetic, life-prolonging fat killer resveratrol is also found in red wine, grapes and other red berries.
- Soy: Isoflavones are the name of the mostly yellowish plant dyes that are also found in the soya bean. They have a favourable effect on blood fats, sugar and blood pressure.
- Green tea: It has many health-promoting ingredients.
The epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG ) has a cell-protective, immune-strengthening and cancer-inhibiting effect.
- Cashews: The kernels are very healthy, but an additional oil is extracted from the shells, which contains anacaric acid and has antibacterial and antibiotic effects.
- Red wine: The resveratrol-like compound piceatannol blocks the development of fat cells and plays an important role in weight loss. It is also found in peanuts.
- Turmeric: Curcumin is the orange dye from the turmeric rhizome. It has an anti-inflammatory, immunostimulating, digestive and anti-cancer effect.
- Chili: Activator capsaicin fights cancer, dilutes the blood, protects the stomach, lowers blood sugar, is cell-protective and also stimulates fat metabolism.
- Broccoli: Like its white brother cauliflower, it contains the mustard oil glycoside glucoraphane. It has antioxidant, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
Any recipe ideas with broccoli?
- Garlic: The sirtuin-activating factor in garlic is allicin. It also has an antibacterial effect, lowers cholesterol levels and protects the cells from damage.
- Apple: contain a lot of dietary fibres that fill the stomach and thus help you lose weight. Bioflavonoid quercetin also has an antioxidant effect.
Sirt food is available in every supermarket. The food is always cheaper and healthier than superfoods. Integrate cashews, broccoli & co. regularly in your diet and benefit from the advantages.