A style trend for zero cents, when has that ever existed? Braided hair is hip as never before, and it only costs a little effort, but is otherwise completely free!
The current trend is for braided hairstyles in far more elaborate variations: Whether French, in messy look, several smaller ones or only the top hair. Especially boxerbraids are still very trendy.
The stars also love this look and combine the braids not only casually with sports but also elegantly with an evening gown. To find out which other braids are hip and how to lightly braid the trend hairstyles, read here.
1. braid with beach waves in Undone look
With this hairstyle, the trend barometer is triple: Hip beach waves meet a casual Undone braid and stylish barrettes.
Step-by-step instructions for a Messy braid:
- Use a large diameter straightening iron or curling iron to style loose beach waves into the hair. Leave out the tips, so that the waves look natural and not over-doctored.
- Spread a little dry shampoo in the hair, then the structure becomes rougher. This makes 1) the waves look even more casual and 2) the roughened strands are much easier to weave because they no longer slip through the fingers.
- Divide the top coat and braid a loose braid at the back of the head.
Fix inconspicuously with a transparent or colour-coordinated hair tie.
- Then pluck the braid with your fingers in the width – this way it fans out as nicely as in the photo.
- Finally clip two hair clips crosswise over the hair tie, finished.
hair clips in leopard print available at amazon.de
hair straightener in the editorial test
2. braided wreath with hip hair clips
Wreaths always look insanely complicated. But there are also very simple variations like this one, for which they don’t need much talent or extra long hair. A shoulder-length cut is enough to make the strands long enough to wrap around the entire head.
Step-by-step instructions for a woven wreath:
- For the frizzy texture, apply salt-spray to damp hair and blow-dry the hair dry with a diffuser attachment. If necessary, use a curling iron or straightening iron to give the hair a little more shape.
- Make a center parting.
- Divide two equal-sized strands of about 3 finger widths in the front and braid two classic plaits from them. Fix them with transparent hair bands.
- Stylist’s trick: Don’t just let the braid ends stick out like a brush, but put them under the rubber to form a loop.
This makes it easier to hide the pigtail end later.
- At first only lead a plait to the back of the head and pin it with hairpins.
- Place the second braid over it and fix it again with Bobby Pins.
- Tip: If you also spray the pins in advance and insert them crosswise into the hair, they will hold better.
- Insert the braid ends under the other braid.
- Optional but super trendy: Put some eye-catching hair pins around the head into the braids.
- For a trendy messy look around the face, loosen some strands with your fingers.
- Apply hairspray, twirl and knead the hair with your hands, finished.
Striking hair pins are’s at amazon.de
3. mini plaits with colourful extensions
Braided hairstyles are great for inconspicuously conjuring a few fake strands into the hair. With a few colorful extensions you can easily style a great festival hairstyle.
Step-by-step instructions for mini braids:
- Use a straightening iron or a large diameter curling iron to create gentle waves in the hair. Leave out the tips, it looks more casual.
- Distribute dry shampoo in the hair – this makes the waves last better and the braids are easier to braid later.
- Grasp a finger-wide strand and cut it in half. Add a colourful fake strand and braid it into a mini plait. Fix it with a transparent hair tie.
- Spread as many plaits in the hair as you like.
- For a shiny finish, rub 2-3 drops of hair oil into the palms of your hands and knead the hair again.
The coolest festival looks
4. lateral braid for short and long hair
Is it actually possible to braid short hair? Sure! Already with chin-length hair you can style beautiful braided hairstyles. This look is especially effective with a bob, for example.
Step-by-step instructions for a lateral braid:
- In order for the braid to show to advantage later on, the hair should first be smoothed. First apply heat protection to the hair and then pull strand by strand through a straightening iron.
- Make a center or side parting.
- Partition a handbreadth of hair along the parting.
- Cut the Passé in thirds and braid it into a classic plait.
- At first, fix the end of the braid inconspicuously with a transparent or colour-coordinated hair tie.
- Carefully pluck the plait with your fingers to the width. Later it should be narrow at the bottom.
- Then pin the braid to the side of the head with a hair clip.
5. messy chignon with French braiding elements
Braided details turn a simple bun into a stylish hairstyle with eye-catching guarantee. Important with the French-Braid: Always lay the outer strands from above (!) over the middle. This creates the typical look of a French braid.
Step-by-step instructions for a braided chignon:
- Separate the top hair and tie it provisionally into a bun.
- Divide the hair at the back of the head into three equally thick strands.
- Hold 2 strands together temporarily with a braid rubber.
- The remaining strand of hair from the neck to a tight French braid, braid closely to the head.
- But when braiding, you have to add more hairs each time.
- Work up to the top of the head and fix the braid inconspicuously with a transparent hair tie.
- Proceed with the two remaining strands in the neck according to the same pattern.
- Open the chignon at the top of the head and tie it together with the braid ends of the three braids to a messy chignon.
- Important: In order for the hairstyle to look like in the picture, you need patience, ideally help from a friend and at least breast-length hair.
6. boxer braids are still DER Braiding trend
Boxer braids are the name of the braids braided on the head that have made Kim Kardashian or Kylie Jenner one of the biggest hairstyle trends of recent years. They are still very much in vogue in 2019.
Step-by-step instructions for boxer braids:
- First pull a middle parting from the forehead to the neck.
- Tie a “temporary” braid on one half so that the hairs do not get in the way when braiding.
- Divide the hair on the open side into three strands of equal size.
- Weave alternately and as close as possible to the scalp downwards.
- Important: Always place the hair strands under the middle strand, not from above as with the French Braid.
This is the only way to create the boxer braid look, where it looks as if the braid is on top of the head.
- With each time more hairs are added and braided in.
- Secure the braid with a small hair tie.
- Repeat the whole thing on the other side.
- Carefully pluck both braids with your fingers and fix everything with hairspray.
Click here for detailed instructions for Boxerbraids
7. elegant braided hairstyle with hair decoration
Do you still know hair rubbers with wooden beads from your childhood? They’re back in style now. So that the look at the end is not cute, but as cool as Miley Cyrus looks, best combined with a rather strict braid.
Step-by-step instructions for a high braid:
- Mix two to three drops of hair oil with plenty of salt-spray in the palms of your hands and then run your fingers through your hair. The mix gives more grip without the strands feeling “strawy” – so they don’t slip through your fingers when braiding.
- Then comb the hair strictly to the head and tie a tight ponytail to the top of the head with a transparent hair tie.
- Braid the braid as usual and fix it with another rubber.
- Now the effect hair rubbers come into play: tie one each around the braid and the end. Important: They are more for decoration than for hold.
- Spray hairspray on the palms of your hands and with flat hands smooth out protruding hair on the top of the head.
8 stylish hairstyles with hair accessories
Want to get some eye-catching styling? Then invite your best friend and re-style the casual wickerwork styles! With the braiding instructions above and a little help, even the most complicated looking styles are easy to do. You’re only a few steps away from the wow effect.